Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Looking Back to Egypt (Devotional)









"The Israelites said to them, “If only we had died by the Lord’s hand in Egypt! There we sat around pots of meat and ate all the food we wanted, but you have brought us out into this desert to starve this entire assembly to death.”' (Exodus 16:3)

'"
Why did you bring us up out of Egypt to this terrible place? It has no grain or figs, grapevines or pomegranates. And there is no water to drink!”' (Numbers 20:5)

Recently, my family and I moved from our home of 12 years. We had made many memories at our old home, some good--- some not so good. The house was a lovely place, we had nice neighbors. But our church was the type of environment that stifled and stunted spiritual growth. Looking back, part of me wishes that I were back in "Egypt"--- I miss the house, the neighborhood, the city, etc. It struck me this morning that, by wishing my "old life" back, I was being just like the Israelites when they complained about leaving Egypt (see above passages). Instead, I should be grateful that God has put us somewhere safe and trusting Him to lead us on this new path.

My question for you is, are you looking back to "Egypt", in any area of your life?

No comments: