Tuesday, February 14, 2012

amour


"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;

does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;

does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;

bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never fails.

....And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (verses from 1 Corinthians 13)
"By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren." (1 John 3:16)

 1
Tell me not (Sweet) I am unkind,
  That from the Nunnery
Of thy chaste breast, and quiet mind,
  To War and Arms I flee.

2
True, a new Mistress now I chase,
  The first Foe in the Field;
And with a stronger Faith embrace
  A Sword, a Horse, a Shield.

3
Yet this inconstancy is such
  As you too shall adore;
I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
  Loved I not Honour more.

(poem by Richard Lovelace)




Love is not a place
To come and go as we please
It's a house we enter in
Then commit to never leave

So lock the door behind you
Throw away the key
We'll work it out together
Let it bring us to our knees

Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for

To some, love is a word
That they can fall into
But when they're falling out
Keeping that word is hard to do 
("Love is Not a Fight" by Warren Barfield) 

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Love... this one word contains so much, so many virtues and actions... and the love of our Heavenly Father always overwhelms me and quiets me...
Thank you for reminding me of His love.

In Christ,
~Shannon~

Be Thou My Vision said...

Shannon,

I agree. One word *can* mean so much. I often reflect and marvel at God's love for mankind. I think one of my favorite hymns is "The Love of God", because it writes out my awe in better words than I could. :)

Thanks for commenting!

~Johanna