Thursday, November 3, 2011

Autumn Fashion (Days Two and Three)

Photo by yours-truly


I am sorry I did not post for yesterday. But I have made-up for it by writing an article. Here it is:

    "Over the past few weeks, something has weighed heavily upon my heart.-- Something that I feel to be very important. I have recently been noticing how many seemingly conservative parents have been allowing erroneous media into their homes, via the television and movies. Many of these parents I respect for their stance on such issues as modesty and purity before marriage. But something I have also noticed about these same parents is that they are not so conservative when it comes to the media. These parents teach their daughters that they should dress modestly and make sure their clothing will not cause a Christian brother to stumble. And yet, they allow their daughters to watch such movies as "Soul Surfer", which parades immodesty as something 'okay'. Do these parents realize what they are doing? These same parents who teach their daughters to save their hearts for their future husbands are letting them watch overly romantic movies that produce a longing for that kind of attention and affection. It causes fragmented hearts, sadness, discontent. We young people can see the inconsistency in that. I'm not out to attack the parents and their strong character. I'm sure many of these parents just haven't thought about the message they may be sending their children. "Well, if mom let me watch 'Soul Surfer' and she thought it was a great movie, I'm sure I could get by with wearing this skimpy outfit!" 
   So what can we children do about this. We should respectfully approach our parents about this and request that they truly critique what we watch and read. We can also do a bit of critiquing, using the Bible as our guidelines. Philippians 4:8 is a good place to start in our critiquing. "Finally my brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praise-worthy, meditate on these things," Ultimately, we are responsible for what we watch and read, but God gave us parents to bring us up "in the training and admonition of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4). If these books, movies, TV programs, magazines, websites are not true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, virtuous, praise-worthy, should we be watching and reading them? "19 Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God, and you are not your own? 20 For you were bought at a price, therefore glorify God in your body and your spirit which are God's" (1 Corinthians 6:19,20). Sisters, as God's children, we are to have fidelity to His character. God is Light, and in Him is no darkness (John 8:12; 1 John 1:5; Revelation 1:18). We are to be light (Matthew 5:14--16; 2 Corinthians 4:6; Ephesians 5:8; 1 Thessalonians 5:5; 1 Peter 2:9; 1 John 1:7). 
   As Christians, we are to "take every thought captive" (2 Corinthians 10:5). Romantic movies, novels, magazines, etc. may cause us to be easily tempted and fall into sin. It also makes it difficult to "take every thought captive" when we read such things. I personally regret that my parents were not more firm in their objections to romantic stories. As a young girl, I "fell in love" with these type of stories and it is a struggle to give the desire to read them, over to the LORD. I am ashamed of that history, beginning at a young age, and wish I could un-do all of it. It has caused much heart-ache, discontent, envy, lust and sadness."


My outfit for today:





Long-sleeve undershirt - SO & Co. (thrifted)
Short-sleeve blouse - No Boundaries (thrifted)
Skirt - made my Mom and me
Boots - Justin (thrifted?)
Bracelet- made by me
Necklace - (from a friend)

Thanks to my sister, Abby, for taking my photos for me! :) Love ya! <3

Pssstt... Don't forget to enter day one here. :)

No comments: